Do you feel stressed and annoyed due to pests in your home? This feeling is obvious as pests create an unhealthy living environment. They can spread viruses and infections and you may fall sick due to them. Some pests also cause extensive property damage. It is important to curb pest infestation on your property to protect yourself and your family from health risks associated with pests in the house.
How Pests are Harmful to Health?
Pests are not only irritating; they pose a serious threat to our health as well. Mosquitoes cause dengue and chikungunya which are fatal diseases. Cockroaches also trigger allergies and asthma symptoms in sensitive people. Read on to learn how pests in the house can cause several diseases and harm our health.
Trigger Asthma and Allergies
If you or any member of your family is dealing with allergic issues, cockroach droppings can trigger them. They contain a protein that can lead to respiratory problems. Exposure to this protein for a long time can damage your lungs. Dust mites also carry allergens which can lead to coughing, eczema, and dermatitis. Similarly, rodents also spread infections and cause health problems. You should take necessary measures if you see pests in the house to get protection from respiratory problems.
Cause Viruses and Infections
You can also catch the flu virus when pests invade your home. Cockroaches, rats, and mosquitoes are carriers of various types of viruses. The flu virus can also spread from person to person. These pests also cause infections by contaminating your food. The food can be contaminated through their feces, saliva, and other body parts. When you eat contaminated food, you can catch infections like salmonella, E. coli, diarrhea, dehydration, and other stomach disorders.
Affect You Mentally
Though it may sound weird, but pests can also affect your mental health. If your home is invaded by bed bugs, you will experience disrupted sleep which can cause insomnia and anxiety. When you discover a pest infestation in your house, you will be stressed about the safety of your family members as well as your property. Knowing that termites have invaded your home will give you nightmares. You will always worry about protecting your property. Continuous stress and worry can harm your mental health.
Leads to Physical Injuries
Pests like termites and carpenter ants feed on wood and eat away the wooden framework of the building making it brittle and hollow from inside. A weak wooden structure can fall on you and you may suffer severe injuries. This can sometimes be fatal as the wooden beams or structures can fall on your head or damage your back. You must inspect your home thoroughly from time to time to find the signs of pest infestations.
You get Skin Rashes and Irritation
Bed bugs and fleas bite their hosts and can cause rashes leading to excessive scratching. Continuous scratching can damage your skin or can cause a wound.
Tips to Prevent Pests in the House
You can safeguard yourself and your family from these health issues by following some preventive tips. These tips will help to curb the pest infestation and bar their entry into your home.
- Clean your home regularly. Take special care while cleaning the kitchen and the dining areas. Sweep and mop daily to remove food particles scattered on the floor. Wipe off the countertops and surfaces immediately after cooking. Wash dirty dishes quickly as accumulated food particles can attract pests.
- Install screens on doors and windows. Seal cracks around the walls and doors. Use weatherstrippings or door sweeps below the doors so that pests do not enter through them.
- Remove all sources of standing water like leaky pipes, faucets, and flower pots as pests like mosquitoes breed on them. Repair clogged drains quickly.
- Keep garbage in tightly closed bins and dispose of it daily. Clean fallen leaves and debris from the garden area to deter pests like rodents.
- Remove the clutter from your house so that pests do not get enough hiding space.
- Inspect your home regularly to see signs of pest in the house. Pests droppings, unusual smells, chewed items, and broken furniture are some signs of pests activity in the house.
- If you see any signs of pest activity in the house, hire a professional pest control company. Early detection can save you and your family from health problems.
Over to You
Pests in the house can cause major health issues. You must be cautious especially when you have children, elderly, or sick people in the house. Do not ignore the signs of pest infestations and take quick steps to remove them from your property. You must also implement preventive measures so that pests do not invade your home. Seek professional assistance and hire professional pest control services in Mumbai to get rid of pests and the health hazards associated with them.